It's half-term for lots of children this week so why not get creative in the kitchen and enjoy some baking. With Halloween on Wednesday, we have a simple and fun activity for the whole family that's right on theme.
To make our Gingerbread pumpkins, we used our round Brompton Cutters and made icing to create funny and spooky faces.
Here's a six-step recipe from All Recipes for making delicious gingerbread:
Ingredients for approximately 18 biscuits:
1 tablespoon orange zest
250g plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarb of soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1. Beat together the butter, sugar, treacle and orange zest. Mix in the egg.
2. Combine the flour, bicarb, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Divide the mixture in half. Add half of the dry mixture to the butter mixture and blend. Mix in the remaining half of dry mixture into the wet mixture until dough forms. Chill in the freezer for an hour or in the fridge for 2 hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease a baking tray or line with parchment.
4. Roll out a portion of the dough to 5mm thick on a floured work surface. Keep remaining dough chilled whilst you work. Cut out shapes with a biscuit cutter. Place biscuits on prepared tray.
5. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Do NOT over-bake, or biscuits won't be soft. Cool on a wire rack.
6. For the icing: Blend all icing ingredients until combined. Use a piping bag to decorate gingerbread biscuits once they are completely cool.
For everything you need to bake in style, view our Brompton kitchen collection here.