Devouring homemade bread is one of life’s simpler pleasures …and baking your own has never been so popular, so here is our good old-fashioned, healthy bread recipe for you to cook at home - but one that can be made from start to table in under 40 minutes. Also, it contains only 4 ingredients, in contrast to the supermarket loaf’s 20 plus! If you’ve never eaten soda bread, it’s a real treat, rich and creamy in taste and a great match for any meal. And because it’s a mix-and-bake (ie no yeast or proving, more like a cake), it really is the easiest of breads to make.
To show off your home baked bread we think our bread basket is the perfect accessory to show off your culinary skills.
You will need:
- 500g plain flour
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 400ml buttermilk or live yoghurt
- A little milk, if necessary
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C/Gas 6.
- Tip the flours, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl and stir.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk, mixing quickly with a large fork to form a soft dough. (Depending upon the absorbency of the flour, you may need to add a little milk if the dough seems too stiff but it should not be too wet or sticky.)
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly.?
- Form into a round and flatten the dough slightly before placing on a lightly floured baking sheet.
- Cut a cross on the top and bake for about 30 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.
We hope you enjoy it and happy baking!