Bonfire Night this weekend presents the perfect opportunity to get together with friends and family. Preparing to be the host with the most? Get crafty in advance with our guide to making your own aromatic firelighters.
Make your own aromatic firelighters
Step 1: Line a muffin tin with paper cake cases. Add a selection of cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, all spice, rosemary and miniature pine cones to the cake cases. Be careful not to overfill.
Step 2: Add a cotton wick to the centre of each firelighter.
Step 3: Melt soy wax flakes down in an old pan, on a medium heat.
Step 4: Carefully pour the melted wax into the muffin cake cases.
Step 5: Once cool, remove the cases from the tin and they’re ready to use.
Disclaimer: Ensure firelighters are always inaccessible to children. Keep them away from a naked flame or heat source until ready to use and never leave a fire unattended.
Bring the taste of autumn…
To really set the scene for celebrations, meet the ‘Maple Old Fashioned’, the Garden Trading team’s speciality seasonal drink. The classic old fashioned with an autumnal twist, this one tastes magnificent sipped beside a crackling fire…
Ingredients - Makes 1
- 2 ounces rye whiskey or bourbon
- 1 teaspoon of pure maple syrup
- Dash of Angostura bitters
- Sprig of Rosemary (for garnish)
- Mix whiskey, maple syrup, bitters, and 1 tsp. water together with a bar spoon until the syrup has dissolved. Serve over ice in a rocks glass or tumbler.
- For the garnish: Hold a sprig of Rosemary over a match for a few seconds until it catches, then pop it into the glass for a wonderful smoky garnish. The fresher the herb, the better the smoke!