The Garden Trading Company Limited (“We”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. We are a UK hosted website and run in accordance with the requirements of the UK Data Protection Act of 1998 and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) of 2018.
This policy (together with our Terms and Conditions) sets out the basis on which personal data we collect from you will be used. Please read through this policy carefully to understand how we will treat your data.
For the purpose of the above regulations, the data controller is The Garden Trading Company Limited (company number 02854160) whose registered office is at Carterton South Industrial Estate, Carterton, Oxfordshire, OX18 3EZ.
Information we may collect
We may collect and process the following data:
- Information that you provide when completing forms on the website www.gardentrading.co.uk (the Website). This includes information provided at the time of registering to use the Website, provided at point of purchase, subscribing to our marketing databases or entering a competition. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with the Website.
- Details of transactions you carry out through the Website and the fulfilment of your orders
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- Any phone number used to call us or email address used to contact us, for the purposes of contacting you and responding to your request or enquiry.
IP Addresses and Cookies
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies and other such software on the Website contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive. They help us to improve the Website and to deliver a better and more personalised service. Read more about our Cookies Policy here.
Uses made of your Personal Data
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- to provide you with information by post about other goods and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about. We use this information on the basis of our legitimate interest in developing our business by telling you about our products and services;
- to provide you with information by email about goods or services we feel may interest you. We will only contact you if you have consented to this. If you do not want us to use your data in this way, please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data or opt out at any time in the ‘My Account’ section of the website;
- to notify you about changes to our service;
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you; and
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to the Website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Disclosure of your Information
We may share your personal information with any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may share your information with selected third parties including:
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you.
- Advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others. We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our users.
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our Website.
- Credit reference agencies for the purpose of assessing your credit score where this is a condition of us entering into a contract with you.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If The Garden Trading Company Limited is acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our terms and conditions and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of The Garden Trading Company Limited, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- If you have entered a competition hosted in conjunction with a third party and opt in to receive marketing communications from them. In this scenario, your data will only be shared with the third party you consent to be contacted by.
We use a third party email provider, Dotmailer, to deliver our e-newsletters. We gather statistics around email opening and clicks using industry standard technologies to help us monitor and improve our e-newsletters.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes or for any purpose which is based on legitimate interests. We will inform you at the point of data collection if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to object to such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting our customer service team or amending your preferences in the ‘My Account’ section of the website.
The Website may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
You have the right to obtain from us details regarding whether or not personal data concerning you is being processed, where and for what purpose. Therefore we shall provide a copy of the personal data, free of charge, in an electronic format when requested through our customer support team on firstname.lastname@example.org within 28 days.
If we are relying on your consent to process your personal data you may withdraw your consent at any time.
You can withdraw consent via the following methods:
- Contacting Garden Trading via phone, email or post with a request to be unsubscribed or forgotten
- Logging into your personal account on the Garden Trading website and opting out
- Clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of every marketing email
Your data will be held for 10 years unless you opt out of marketing and ask to be removed from our database.
You also have the right to be forgotten, meaning that in certain circumstances you can ask us to erase your personal data, cease further dissemination of the data, and potentially have third parties halt processing of the data. These circumstances include:
- the data is no longer necessary for the purpose for which we originally collected and/or processed it;
- you have withdrawn your consent to us processing your data (see above), and there is no other valid reason for us to continue processing the data;
- if we process the data on the basis of our legitimate interests, you object to the processing (see above) and we are unable to demonstrate overriding legitimate grounds for our continued processing;
- the data has been processed unlawfully; and
- it is necessary for the data to be erased in order for us to comply with our legal obligations as a data controller.
You can ask to erase your data by contacting our customer service team.
Please that we may not always be able to comply with your request for erasure for specific legal reasons which will be notified to you, if applicable, when we respond to your request.
If you withdraw consent or ask for data to be erased, Garden Trading will cease processing the data for marketing purposes and/or erase the data within 28 days of the request being received.
All payment data transmitted between you and our site is protected using strong SSL encryption technology. We do not store or retain credit card information. We are listed on www.shopsafe.co.uk as a website that is deemed to be secure online shopping site and we are fully PCI compliant.
We use Sage Pay for online credit and debit clearing, in conjunction with Barclays Bank. As a result of this we charge for the order in full at the time the order is placed. Therefore please ensure if you are pre-ordering an item that you are happy to pay for it in advance.
You undertake that all details which you provide to us for the purpose of ordering goods are correct, that the credit or debit card you are using is your own and that there are sufficient funds to cover the cost of the order.
By ticking this box, you consent to The Garden Trading Company Limited (the data controller) (We) processing your personal data for marketing purposes in the manner outlined below
Your personal data:
- will be processed for the following purposes:
- for future marketing by email
- analysing consumer trends and insights
- responding and dealing with your query or request (if relevant)
You have the right:
- to withdraw your consent to the processing of your data, to the extent it is processed on the basis of your consent (as set out above);
- to object to the processing of your data for marketing purposes, whether it is processed on the basis of your consent (email marketing) or our legitimate interests (marketing by post);
- to request information regarding the processing of your personal data, including to be provided with a copy of your personal data; to withdraw or amend your marketing consent or to object to the processing of your data for marketing purposes, please contact our customer services team via email email@example.com or phone 01993 845559. You may withdraw your marketing consent by changing the permissions within your online account.
For more information about how we process your personal data please read our Privacy Statement