The Garden Trading Company Limited (“We/Us/Our”) is committed to protecting and respecting the privacy of everyone who visits our website at www.gardentrading.co.uk or www.gardentradingwholesale.com (“Our Site”). We will only collect and use personal data in ways that are described here and in a manner that is consistent with Our obligations and your rights under the law including the Data Protection Act 1998 (“DPA 1998”) and the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”). This policy (together with our Terms and Conditions) sets out the basis on which personal data we collect from you will be used. Please read through this policy carefully to understand how we will treat your data. If you do not accept and agree with this policy, you must stop using Our Site immediately.
If you are a trade customer for whom we provide direct despatch services, you must ensure that you have all necessary appropriate consents, notices and contractual arrangements in place to enable you to transfer your own customers’ Personal Data (as defined below) to Us. Our Site may include links to third-party websites, plug-ins and applications. Clicking on those links or enabling those connections may allow third parties to collect or share data about you. We do not control these third-party websites and are not responsible for their privacy statements. When you leave Our Site, We encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website you visit.
“Personal data” means any and all data that relate to an identifiable person who can be directly or indirectly identified from that data. In this case, it means personal data that you give to Us via Our Site.
If you have any questions about this policy, please contact our Customer Services team on email@example.com.
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk). We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the ICO so please contact Us in the first instance.
Information about us
Our Site is owned and operated by The Garden Trading Company Limited, a limited company registered in England under company number 02854160, whose registered office is at Carterton South Industrial Estate, Carterton, Oxfordshire, OX18 3EZ.
The Garden Trading Company Limited is the data controller for the purposes of the DPA and the GDPR.
Information we may collect
We may collect and process the following data:
day and month of birth
business/company name (trade customers only)
job title (trade customers only)
profession (trade customers only)
contact information such as email addresses and telephone numbers
demographic information such as post code, preferences, and interests
financial information such as credit / debit card numbers
billing and delivery addresses
confirmation of whether a customer is over 18 (age restricted products only)
mail/email/phone opt in preference and source of this preference
This data may be collected when you :
- complete forms on Our Site. This includes data provided at the time of registering to use Our Site,
- Us to ask Us a question or request information from Us.
IP Addresses and Cookies
- We may provided at point of purchase, subscribing to our marketing databases ,entering a competition or completing a survey. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with Our Site.
- carry out transactions through Our Site and during the fulfilment of your orders.
contact collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about Our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
For the same reason, We may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies and other such software on our Site contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive. They help us to improve Our Site and to deliver a better and more personalised service. Read more about our Cookies Policy here.
Uses made of your Personal Data
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and Us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from Us;
- to provide you with information about goods or services We feel may interest you. We will only contact you if you have consented to this. If you do not want Us to use your data in this way, please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which We collect your data or opt out at any time in the ‘My Account’ section of Our Site or by contacting ourcustomer service team
- to notify you about changes to our service;
- to administer Our Site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of Our Site, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep Our Site safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising We serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you; and
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of Our Site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
Storage of your Personal Data
- We only keep your personal data for as long as We need to in order to use it as described above and/or for as long as We have your permission to keep it. We will never retain your personal data for longer than 10 years unless we are under a legal obligation to do so.
- Your data will only be stored in the UK.
- Data security is very important to Us, and to protect your data We have taken suitable measures to safeguard and secure data collected through Our Site.
- Steps We take to secure and protect your data include:
- Secure hosting environment for Our Site
- Data only shared with approved data processors who have their own secure data policies
- Anti-virus software
- Thorough staff training
- Annual PEN tests of our websites and risk assessments of all data handling
- Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts f Our Site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Sharing your Personal Data
We may share your personal data with any member of Our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may share your personal data with selected third parties including:
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract We enter into with them or you. The purposes for which this data is shared may include payment processing, delivery of goods, search engine facilities, advertising, and marketing. In some cases, the third parties may require access to some or all of your data. Where any of your data is required for such a purpose, We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your data will be handled safely, securely, and in accordance with your rights, Our obligations, and the obligations of the third party under the law
- Advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others. We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to Our advertisers, but We may provide them with aggregate information about Our users.
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of Our Site.
- Credit reference agencies for the purpose of assessing your credit score where this is a condition of Our entering into a contract with you.
We may disclose your personal data to third parties:
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our terms and conditions and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of The Garden Trading Company Limited, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- If you have entered a competition hosted in conjunction with a third party and opt in to receive marketing communications from that third party. In this scenario, your data will only be shared with the third party you consent to be contacted by.
We use a third party email provider, Dotmailer, to deliver our e-newsletters. We gather statistics around email opening and clicks using industry standard technologies to help us monitor and improve our e-newsletters.
You have the right to:
- Request access to your personal data (commonly known as a "data subject access request"). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data We hold about you and to check that We are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal data that We hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate data We hold about you corrected, although We may need to verify the accuracy of the new data you provide to Us. You can request correction at any time by contacting thecustomer service team.
- Request erasure of your personal data. This enables you to ask Us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for Us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask Us to delete or remove your personal data where you have successfully exercised your right to object to processing (see below), where We may have processed your information unlawfully or where We are required to erase your personal data to comply with local law. Note, however, that We may not always be able to comply with your request of erasure for specific legal reasons which will be notified to you, if applicable, at the time of your request.
You can request erasure by:
- Contacting thecustomer service team
- Amending your preferences in the ‘My Account’ section of Our Site.
- Clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of every marketing email
- Returning a catalogue to Us with the request to be removed from our postal list
- Request restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your personal data in the following scenarios: (a) if you want us to establish the data's accuracy; (b) where Our use of the data is unlawful but you do not want Us to erase it; (c) where you need Us to hold the data even if We no longer require it as you need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or (d) you have objected to Our use of your data but We need to verify whether We have overriding legitimate grounds to use it. . You can exercise the right at any time by contacting our customer service team
- Object to processing of your personal data where We are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground as you feel it impacts on your fundamental rights and freedoms. You can exercise your right to object at any time by contacting our customer service team
You also have the right to object where We are processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes. In some cases, we may demonstrate that we have compelling legitimate grounds to process your information which override your rights and freedoms. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting our customer service team or amending your preferences in the ‘My Account’ section of our Site.
- Request the transfer of your personal data to you or to a third party. We will provide to you, or a third party you have chosen, your personal data in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. Note that this right only applies to automated information which you initially provided consent for Us to use or where We used the information to perform a contract with you. You can exercise the right at any time by contacting our customer service team
- Withdraw consent at any time where We are relying on consent to process your personal data. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, We may not be able to provide certain products or services to you. We will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent.
You can withdraw your consent at any time by:
- Contacting our customer service team
- Amending your preferences in the ‘My Account’ section of Our Site.
- Returning a catalogue to Us notifying Us that you are withdrawing your consent.
All payment data transmitted between you and Our Site is protected using strong SSL encryption technology. We do not store or retain credit card information. We are listed on www.shopsafe.co.uk as a website that is deemed to be secure online shopping site and We are fully PCI compliant.
We use Sage Pay for online credit and debit clearing, in conjunction with Barclays Bank. As a result of this we charge for the order in full at the time the order is placed. Therefore please ensure if you are pre-ordering an item that you are happy to pay for it in advance.
You undertake that all details which you provide to Us for the purpose of ordering goods are correct, that the credit or debit card you are using is your own and that there are sufficient funds to cover the cost of the order.