A family-friendly alternative to mulled wine, this festive hot drink is as fragrant as it delicious.
Follow these simple steps to make your own hot spiced apple drink, the perfect welcome home after a cold winter's walk. (And if you wanted to add a little rum for the grown-ups, we promise not to judge you)
You will need:
- 1Litre of Fresh Apple Juice
- 1 tbsp of Demerera Sugar
- 1 Large Orange
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 3 Cloves
- 3 Star Anise
- 5 Peppercorns
- 5 Cardamon Pods (Crushed)
- 12 All Spice Berries
You will need to:
1. Toast the spices in a medium-sized pan over a medium heat until the fragrance releases.
2. Meanwhile, peel the orange taking care to remove any pith which adds unwanted bitterness.
3. Add the apple juice, sugar and orange peel to the pan and bring to a boil.
4. Turn heat down to a gentle simmer and allow to heat for 20 minutes.
5. Serve in mugs with a slice of orange and stick of cinnamon (optional), taking care to sieve any small spices when serving to children.