Visit our Oxfordshire Showroom to browse our latest collections.
Bramley apple and walnut cake
04 September 2013A slice of this is perfect for afternoon tea or as a comforting autumnal dessert, perhaps with a dollop of heavy organic cream!
450g bramley apples
juice ½ lemon
225g softened butter
280g golden caster sugar
4 large eggs
340g self raising flour
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp demerara sugar
• Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and line a 23cm round, spring form cake tin.
• Use an apple peeler to peel, core and slice the apples and place them in a bowl and pour over the lemon juice to stop them from discolouring.
• Beat the butter and sugar using a wooden spoon until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, and adding a tablespoon of the flour with the final egg. Beat in the vanilla extract and then sift in the remaining flour and fold in until combined.
• Fold the apples with the walnuts into the mix
• Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin, spreading it evenly – sprinkle over some demerara sugar on the top.
• Bake for about an hour or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave it to cool completely in the tin before turning it out.