Visit our Oxfordshire Showroom to browse our latest collections.
Cooking with Spelt
05 May 2015
We’ve just had a delivery of Roger Saul’s stunning new cookery book, devoted to the wonder grain-of-the-moment. Simply called `Spelt' the book is packed full of mouth-watering recipes using this wholesome but delicious grain.
Inspired by Roger's own most cherished family meals, this book contains 175 glossy pages of breads, breakfasts, meals and desserts accompanied by gorgeous photography that makes your mouth water just looking at it.
We're giving 10 lucky people the chance to win a signed copy, but if you don't want to take a chance then purchase your copy now - hurry though, as once they’re gone they’re gone for good!
Since landing in our office, our stomachs have been grumbling at the range of delicious treats contained within this book. Not having cooked with Spelt before, we thought we’d start with something simple – a flatbread topped with Chorizo and Peppers.
Thankfully, the recipe was incredibly simple and the result was a delicious flatbread with a rounded nutty taste and a freshly flavoursome topping. I can see these fast becoming a staple lunch item, as the dough can be prepared in advance ready to be topped with almost anything; perhaps try the caramelised onion and goats cheese or the stilton and caramelized pear for something different!
For the flatbread:
- 2tsp Olive Oil
- 150ml Water
- 250g White Spelt Flour
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
For the topping:
- 2tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 hot Chorizo Sausages
- 1 Red and 1 Green diced and sliced Pepper
- 1 finely chopped Spanish Onion
- Grated zest and juice of ½ Lemon
- 1 handful of chopped Parsley Leaves
- Mix together all of the bread ingredients to make a soft dough, and knead lightly until no longer sticky
- Cover with a clean, damp tea towel and leave to rest for 1 hour
- Preheat the oven to 200oc and lightly oil two large baking sheets
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces and turn out onto a floured surface. Roll each piece out as thinly as possible to about 15 x 25cm, pop on the prepared baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes until browned.
- Leave to cool while you prepare your topping
- Fry the Chorizo, Peppers and Onion until soft, then add the Lemon and Parsley for flavour
- Spoon the topping onto the warm flatbreads, drizzle with oil and serve hot
Recipe extracted from p.84-5 of ‘Spelt’ by Roger Saul, published by Nourish, an imprint of Watkins Media Limited, £16.99.