Is your home packed full of gorgeous Garden Trading buys or clever storage solutions? We would love to see! Email us your pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will post them on our Facebook page, Tweet them, and pin them to our Pinterest boards.
Elderflower Cordial Recipe
29 May 2015
It’s that time of year again when the hedgerows bloom with delicate and sweetly scented elderflowers, heralding the start of summer. These fresh flowers are perfect for a scrumptious and easy to make cordial; perfect for an ice-cold refreshing drink, drizzled over fruit and ice-cream for a summer treat or even used as a cocktail mixer if you’re feeling indulgent!
Gather the flowers on a warm and dry day, collecting only the fresh, white blooms and never any showing signs of brown. The flowers wither quickly, so be prepared to get cracking with your cordial as soon as you can after picking. While picking, keep the blooms dry and try not to crush them by packing too many into your basket. A simple trug such as this Wirework Trug is an easy way to store and transport your flowers home.
Why not try my mother’s tried, tested and much enjoyed recipe?
- 20 heads of elderflower
- 2 pints of water
- 2oz of citric acid (available from pharmacies or the pharmacy section of Sainsburys)
- 1kg bag of sugar
- 2 large lemons quartered
- Boil the water and pour into a large preserving pan
- Stir in the sugar, let it dissolve and cool
- Add the flower heads and the citric acid – our Glass Juicer & Jug is a great multi-purpose tool, not only does it serve as a juicer as well as measuring jug, the jug is marked out in ml, oz, cups and pints to cover any recipe directions
- Add the lemons cut into quarters
- Stir well and leave to rest for 3 days
- Stir, strain and bottle in a stoppered bottle such as this Large Vintage Bottle
- Keep the bottles of elderflower concentrate in the fridge and dilute with perfectly drinkable tap water and/or sparkling water for a summer drink
- Delicious with ice and a sprig of mint… when treating guests, our Glass Carrier with 6 Glasses is perfect for dispensing drinks