Is your home packed full of gorgeous Garden Trading buys or clever storage solutions? We would love to see! Email us your pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will post them on our Facebook page, Tweet them, and pin them to our Pinterest boards.
Bramley apple and walnut cake
04 September 2013A slice of this is perfect for afternoon tea or as a comforting autumnal dessert, perhaps with a dollop of heavy organic cream!
450g bramley apples
juice ½ lemon
225g softened butter
280g golden caster sugar
4 large eggs
340g self raising flour
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp demerara sugar
• Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and line a 23cm round, spring form cake tin.
• Use an apple peeler to peel, core and slice the apples and place them in a bowl and pour over the lemon juice to stop them from discolouring.
• Beat the butter and sugar using a wooden spoon until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, and adding a tablespoon of the flour with the final egg. Beat in the vanilla extract and then sift in the remaining flour and fold in until combined.
• Fold the apples with the walnuts into the mix
• Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin, spreading it evenly – sprinkle over some demerara sugar on the top.
• Bake for about an hour or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave it to cool completely in the tin before turning it out.